Born and raised in Southern California, I’ve lived in San Juan Capistrano for most of my life. I went to a shitty little private Christian school called CVCS for 13 years (yep, K thru 12) and (unintentionally) got an AA in Computer Science at Saddlecrack College. I lived in Vegas for a few years till 2009, when I moved back down to South OC to go on the road with my friend’s band, Driven A.D..
Driven A.D. tour was an experience. They’ve disbanded, which is unfortunate, because their talent and music were amazing.
Fucking Vegas… I miss the gambling and no last call.
In Las Vegas, I worked for Minxx Gentlemen’s Club (the titty bar with the Pac-Man Jones shooting!), Apple Store, and Adam’s Ribs. I was the Tour Manager / Bus Driver / Merch Manager / Road Accountant / Tech Support Guy / Webmaster / Graphics Guy / Whatever-else for Driven A.D..
Nowadays I work for Richer Poorer. People ask what I do for them. I do everything.
I’m barely doing anything with sushi3 Industries. I’m not taking new clients because I like not coming home from work to do more work.
Sushi FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Q: Is “Sushi” your real name? How the hell did you get that name?
- A: My parents named me Atsushi. Sushi is easier to pronounce and remember, plus everybody loves sushi, especially in SoCal and Vegas. I guess people know that if I can call myself Sushi, I must be a totally chill motherfucker. Which is absolutely correct.
- Q: You got some pretty big balls going up and singing karaoke.
- A: After the first time, it’s easy. You have to sing a good song that you can get into. Sing for either (1) the ladies or (2) for everyone. That way, even if you suck at singing, people will appreciate it. Or (3) fuck everyone and sing for yourself, just be really into it.
- It always helps if you’re with a group of drunk-ass friends. So I think my balls are only slightly larger than average. Just kidding, they’re huge.
- Q: So, what all can you sing?
- A: I can do a ton of songs badly, but I’m mostly pretty good. Not like I’m-full-of-shit-pretty-good, but I’m-my-worst-critic-and-I’m-pretty-good. I like singing shit like Foo Fighters, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, some Motley Crue, Livin’ On A Prayer (anyone?) and Baby Got Back. Lately I’ve been trying to develop my metal voice so I can sing shit like Drowning Pool, Disturbed, Pantera and other good shit. Not a whole lot of metal karaoke songs out there.
- Q: Do you sing with a band? You look like the rock star type.
- A: Not anymore. I used to be with Sykk Sense, a glam-pop-metal hard rock band featuring Jonni Jade from Sick Six Crush. I played bass, but I’ve been playing guitar off and on (mostly off) since ’90. I’ve since sold all of my guitars and equipment. Now I sing and fucking rock everyone’s world.
- I really like Guitar Hero. It got me into drums. I have an electric drum kit now that I’m trying to get into.
- Foo Fighters
- Children of Bodom
- Strapping Young Lad
- Devil Driver
- Led Zeppelin
- Iron Maiden
- Linkin Park
- Tenacious D
- Def Leppard
- Soundgarden / Audioslave
- Weird Al Yankovic
- lots of other classic through contemporary rock and metal, hip-hop and rap.
Stephen Lynch is without a doubt the best singer/songwriter on the planet. Hermaphrodite, Baby, Love Song, She Gotta Smile, Best Friends Song, D & D, Craig, Classic Rock Song, Beelz, Little Tiny Moustache, Whittlin’ Man. The list of hits goes on and on…
I should update this list… So This is Outer Space?, Medieval Bush, A History Lesson, Tattoo, Too Jesusy, No Meat, The Night I Laid You Down, Hallelujah (Claudia)…
- Anything by Jackie Chan, Chris Farley, Will Ferrell or Jet Li. I like good martial arts action. And Chris Farley was the bomb in Beverly Hills Ninja, do you dare disagree?
- Adam Sandler movies
- The Matrix (the first one)