Sushi Fury

Sushi's personal blog.

Never updated.

Hellfire Wing Challenge at Smoke Eaters

Last week I flew to San Fran to visit Connie for a few days and see the city. Never been there before. Best memory? Last Sunday, we drove down to Santa Clara to Smoke Eaters to do the Hellfire Challenge because I saw it on Man v. Food. The basic rules: you, a waiver, 12 wings in 10 minutes, no drinks or napkins, and a 5-minute waiting period after you finish.

It was definitely an experience! The wings came in a thick, gritty soup of hot sauce. First bite, windpipe became constricted. Not unbearably hot though. Oh, it burned, but I had more painful heat from a little green pepper my dad fed me a week earlier. The hot sauce burned everywhere — fingers, lips, cheeks, mouth, stomach, and (later) asshole. The wings were hard to swallow — I could only finish 3 in 10 minutes. Connie did 5!

The aftermath: I had massive stomach pain and threw up later that night. My stomach decided to empty itself like I was drunk or something.

Connie’s stomach was fine, but her taste buds were fucked up for a couple days. She said things tasted sour. I guess I’m glad that didn’t happen to me! I knew Connie wouldn’t have any problems with the heat. She sucks down hot stuff better than I can!

I took home as much of the sauce as I could. I’ve been putting it on everything. I keep craving the shit, and it’s fine until it hits my stomach, at which point it seems to catch my asshole on fire as it shoots out of it.

What I learned: Not being a competitive eater at all, I didn’t think I could finish 12 wings that quickly, but I knew I could take the heat. I gotta keep training, is all. My next strategy for the challenge: suck the sauce off the wing and use it to wash down the previous bite. Now where around here do they serve wings for cheap?

Tags: , , ,

7 Responses to “Hellfire Wing Challenge at Smoke Eaters”

1. Firebird says:

Gun’a try it this Friday, any tips? Wish me luck or at least fun in the trying.

2. sushi says:

The girl at the counter told us to go to the market next door and buy some milk. Probably helped a little, but shit, the sauce was torture on my stomach! Hope you conquered it without destroying your digestive tract.

3. The Great says:

I have 16yr old daughter ,she totally wants 2 do the challange. Should let her??

4. sushi says:

It depends on if she can handle a spoonful of cayenne ground up with habanero, some vinegar and water to make a paste. That’s what it felt like I was eating with every bite. When I was 16 I could probably handle one, at most!

I don’t remember if they do smaller orders for the Hellfire wings, but if you can get only a few or 6, go for that instead. If she can handle those, then let her go for the whole challenge. I went for it only because I figured I could take the rest home. Connie ate the rest the next day after I left for home (guess she got used to it real quick), and I took the sauce. I put a half teaspoon on full bowls of stuff (fried rice, spaghetti, tacos, whatever) and I could feel my stomach burning up through the meal and for an hour after that.

5. The Great says:

Ooh wow….she’ll probably go small 1st haha !! Thank u for the insight. She’s pretty good at knowing her limit. 😉 I think , lol !

6. wywóz gruzu trójmiasto says:

I write a comment when I appreciate a article on a website or I have something to contribute to the conversation. It’s triggered by the fire displayed in the post I browsed. And on this post Hellfire Wing Challenge at Smoke Eaters Sushi Fury. I was moved enough to drop a thought 😉 I do have a few questions for you if you don’t mind. Is it only me or do a few of these responses look like they are left by brain dead individuals? 😛 And, if you are writing on other sites, I’d like to keep up with anything new you have to post. Would you list every one of all your public sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

7. sushi says:

YOUR REPLY looks like it was left by a brain dead individual, you fucking foreign spammer. Wywóz gruzu trójmiasto, if that is your real name, you are a fucking dipshit. I took the time to reply because you said you were triggered by the fire displayed in the post. And on this post <insert title here>. And you were moved enough to drop a thought.

What thought did you drop? I’m very curious. Because you seemed to drop many thoughts.